One upon a time Supravox...
The company SEM "SUPER ELECTRO-MECANIQUE" created by Mr. DORLIAC, former marine mechanic, at 26 rue Pierre Lagny in Vincennes, manufactured high quality mechanical parts. Prior to World War II the company began manufacturing 12cm exciter speakers for use in radio sets. A manufacturing unit located in Joinville ensured the production.
At the same time, in the early 1930s, Mr. LEGORJU created AUDAX and started his own production in Montreuil.
Shortly after the war, Mr. LIEBERT, director of studies and manufacturing at the SEM, studies and produces the first exponential membranes, then launches on the market the first broadband loudspeakers of 17, 21, 24, 28 and 33 cm in diameter. so equipped. According to our archives, at that time only the American company UNIVERSITY held the comparison with this type of loudspeaker.
The first Alnico permanent magnet SEM loudspeakers were manufactured in the late 1940s. The magnet materials available at the time were Alnico or Ticonal.
Madame DORLIAC, of Italian origin, was in contact with a manufacturing company of "RADIOPHONO and ELECTROPHONO", she registered the brand SUPRAVOX in 1956 and moved to the former premises of Mr. HENRI of France, inventor of the SECAM process located at 46 rue de Vitruve in Paris. It is the beginning of the production of SUPRAVOX loudspeakers, thus perpetuating all the research and manufacturing of the SEM, in particular on the high-sensitivity broadband loudspeakers with exponential membranes.
In the world, the Germans prefer to work with conical membranes, unlike the Americans who with ALTEC work with exponential membranes.
It was at this time that the SIARE company was created by a former employee of the SEM.
In the years 1956-1960, the consortium of television and radio equipment manufacturers led by Mr. Sylvain FLOIRAT, the CGTVE (Tévéa, AMPLIX, TELEMASTER, AIRPHONE, andc.) ordered almost all of its loudspeakers from SUPRAVOX and in particular the models equipped with the magnetically shielded Ticonal motor.
Similarly in the years 1958-1960, SUPRAVOX, with about forty equipped 28cm speakers, participated in the study of the sound insulation of the cabin of the Concorde.
In 1964, the RTF (French Radio Television) was looking for broadband loudspeakers to equip its studio monitors. To meet this demand, SUPRAVOX has created a 215 mm wide band, under the name of 215 RTF 64. This loudspeaker with its revolutionary membrane has equipped, among others, the studios of ORTF, RAI, RTL and EUROPE 1 and still satisfies happy audiophiles today.
At the same time, Mr. LEON, of the ELIPSON company, is developing his famous shells with or without "ears" equipped with the 215 with tweeter or the 215 so. They have flooded the market and are still a benchmark.
In 1968, SUPRAVOX carried out its first special studies. The T 104 was born, intended to equip emergency stop terminals on motorways. About 150,000 such speakers were made.
In 1979, the accidental death of Mrs. DORLIAC led to the takeover of SUPRAVOX by Mr. GHIO. With his small cabinetmaking unit in Noisy-le-Sec, helped by Mr. Jacques BOENICH, he launched into the manufacture of high-fidelity loudspeakers: SALON, PICOLA, RV box... while continuing to produce loudspeakers .
For the record, Mr. SALABERT, future creator of PHY-HP carried out an internship in 1992 at SUPRAVOX.
In 1993, for lack of a buyer and wishing to retire, Mr. GHIO closed his company without parting with his know-how.
In 1994, Guy LE CORNEC, former sound engineer, former intern at SUPRAVOX and friend of Mr. GHIO decided to invest everything in a bet: to relaunch SUPRAVOX on the international market, this prestigious brand that has enchanted generations of music lovers. He satisfies Mr. GHIO's requirements by ensuring the revival of the 215 RTF 64 version 1995.
Mr. GHIO sold the brand in 1995 and on October 1, 1996, SUPRAVOX was reborn from its ashes and relaunched on the market by taking advantage of the brand's know-how, new technologies and technical improvements in materials (ferrites, papers, adhesives ).
The new range of haut-parleurs perpetuates the original philosophy: full-range, high-sensitivity loudspeakers.
The production of these legendary loudspeakers restarted by craftsmen, first in Parisian cellars and then set up in Touraine at Saint Pierre des Corps, from 1996 to 1999, then until 2018 in Bléré. All the parts are manufactured and assembled manually in France.
The company also takes up the torch of research and development activities at the service of manufacturers and sound professionals, and studies models on specifications:
– 20 cm waterproof for outdoor sound, listening in the Disneyland Paris park.
– 104 mm loudspeaker for marine firefighters (waterproof and operating from -20 to +150°)
– And other exclusive models for high-end loudspeaker manufacturers.
In 2009, following the death of Guy LE CORNEC, his son Yann LE CORNEC took over and ensured the continuity of the company.
In 2017, Supravox was acquired by Akylis Capital in order to continue to manufacture existing products, with the greatest respect for the work accomplished, but also to develop new products for the greatest pleasure of audiophiles.
Cyrille PINTON joined us as technical director in February 2018.
Supravox moved to new premises in Montévrain (77) in October 2018. The whole of the production sees its means increased, whether by investment in new machines (Siderméca 4110 lathe, CNC winder, TechnoPhysik 4 500J magnet machine, Audiomatica CLIO QC V5, andc.), but also new tools for assembled, designed and manufactured in-house.
All this benefits the quality and reliability of Supravox products.
Beyond the improvement of existing products via the mk2 series, Supravox releases the Heritage range tribute to the legendary SRTF loudspeakers of the 60s, as well as new speakers: Alizée Heritage, Mini OB, et Mina.
2020 sees the arrival of 380 series, the widest range of 38cm loudspeakers dedicated to high fidelity on the market.
Some visuals of our production workshops: